Q.

Is it unusual, in your early 50s, to have very heavy long periods, hot flashes and night sweats, as well as chest pain?

Related Topics: Period, Chest, Hot Flash, Sweating, Pain

Obstetrics & Gynecology
Yale School of Medicine
A.

The flow issues you report are actually quite common, and believe it or not, in general have little to do with our estrogen levels going down. Actually, the first thing that happens to many women is that we stop ovulating real well, and we stop making progesterone very well (progesterone is the hormone our ovaries make after we ovulate.)

I describe progesterone to my patients as the "policeman of the lining of the uterus" -- estrogen causes the lining of the uterus to grow, and without "police" action, you can get some very crazy bleeding patterns -- too frequent, not coming regularly, and very heavy flow when they do come. One of the ways we actually can manage the crazy flow is with progesterone. Often, gynecologists will suggest to our patients that we give them 12 days or so of progesterone every two or three months,if they haven't had a period: That will cause the lining of the uterus to think you have ovulated; when you stop taking the progesterone, the uterus will say "time for a clean out" -- but since you've taken the progesterone you should have a reasonably controlled bleed.

Another way we often deal with these issues (in non-smokers) are low-dose birth control pills -- especially if one is having hot flashes, etc. and crazy periods.

Now the kicker here is I don't know what to make of your chest pain. Chest pains can be related to menopause-- however, women do start experiencing more true cardiac issues around the time of menopause. So I would check in with your primary care medical doc, who may even suggest you check in with a cardiologist -- presuming they do rule out heart disease, then you can proceed on the "attack the menopause" front.

Again, help should be available for all of your problems.

Read the Original Article: Periods over 10 days