Q.

My husband has recently been diagnosed with Alzheimers and he is eating more carbs than ever. Is this common?

Alzheimer's Disease
Elder Care Alternatives, New York, N.Y.
A.

Nutrition is one of the areas that caregivers often must assume responsibility for... even if the person's Alzheimer's is at an early stage.

A short-term memory deficit can result in one forgetting if he/she ate or not. Thus, meals may be missed or one might eat multiple meals at each sitting. Impaired judgment, another symptom even at an early stage, can impact on dietary choices. Thus, someone who never ate fats or salt (or carbs as you mentioned), may begin to crave these previously "forbidden" foods. Sweets especially fall into this category and may provide pleasure that one had forsaken due to sugar problems or concern with weight.

This problem can become a "quality of life" issue and that is where the caregiver must make choices. "Should I restrict my loved one's diet because it may cause medical problems or should I look away and let him/her have some enjoyment" is the dilemma.

Some helpful strategies include daily dietary monitoring, keeping nutritious food visible on the shelves (even transferred into boxes of more desired foods!) and buying low-fat and low-salt foods and snacks only. If the "undesired" food is not available, it will not be eaten.

The one strategy to be avoided is trying to reason with your loved one in order to change her/his behavior. Advice and counseling can agitate and will probably be forgotten.

Read the Original Article: Alzheimers & carbs