Q.

How can I get pregnant if I have polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)?

A.

If you have PCOS and you're overweight, losing weight is one way to improve your chances of pregnancy. Your doctor also might prescribe medication to lower your insulin levels, since elevated insulin levels -- caused by your body's inability to recognize insulin -- has been found to be a common problem among many women with PCOS. Chronically elevated insulin levels can also lead to diabetes. Women with PCOS may be at higher risk for developing heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and endometrial cancer, especially if PCOS is untreated.

PCOS can't be cured, but there are treatments available to treat the symptoms of PCOS and the infertility associated with this condition. By stimulating ovulation, especially in women trying to conceive, and treating insulin resistance, many women often get restoration of regular periods and ovulation.

A procedure known as in vitro fertilization, or IVF, is another potential treatment for women with PCOS.

Read the Original Article: Irregular Periods and Getting Pregnant