Q.

I read that people get flu shots annually because flu strains change. Do strains of other diseases change?

Related Topics: Flu, Injection

A.

Some viruses tend to adapt and mutate (change), and the influenza virus changes all of the time. Medical science has a full time job keeping up with this primitive adaptation. Bacteria can change, too ... this is why we have drug-resistant strains of Staph (MRSA).

Yes, you have to get a different flu vaccine every year, depending on the strains that are circulating.

People who had pertussis (whooping cough) as a child are not always immune for life -- the recent epidemic proves this. Be glad that we have scientists keeping track of these things!

Read the Original Article: The flu and vaccines