Q.

How can I encourage my children to brush their teeth?

Related Topics: Tooth

Pediatrics
Community Pediatrics, Westlake, CA
A.

... Until your child can shower and wash her own hair, she still needs help with her oral hygiene. To prevent brushing battles, here are some age-appropriate tips I've learned from patients, parents, and my own two boys.

Toddler: Make tooth brushing a game. Sing a silly song. Get 3 toothbrushes so your toddler can hold one in each hand, while you brush your child's teeth with the third brush.

Preschool: Let him choose between two flavors of toothpaste or which brush he wants to use. After he brushes for the count of 10, it's your turn for 10. Go back and forth a few times.

Kindergarten: Allow her to do the morning brushing solo, but use an egg timer so she knows how long to brush. At bedtime, you get to help or at least take a turn after she finishes.

Elementary School: Children this age should be able to brush their own teeth, but you may have to remind them. Ask the hygienist to give your child a personal lesson to make sure he's on track with his skills.

Middle/High School: There may be times when your preteen or teen takes a vacation from brushing. Dental check-ups are crucial to let her know if she needs to ramp up her brushing and flossing. If all else fails, you can always point out that skipping out on the twice a day regime may result in bad breath -- a sure way to keep friends and companions away.

Don't forget to take a fun trip to the pediatric dentist every 6 months. ...

Read the Original Article: Brushing Battles