Q.

How can I help my 4 year old adjust to school? Would a less stressful morning routine be helpful?

Pediatrics
Pediatric Physicians, PC and Emory University
A.

You're certainly right about how your own feelings affect your child. She does perceive the rushing and anxiety and exhaustion. I like your idea of working towards a more relaxed routine.

Other ideas:

1. Make drop off quick and matter-of-fact, and part of a fixed routine.
2. Make her some kind of little badge or toy with your face on it, and mom's too. It can be a new "bravery badge", or a new stuffed animal that wears a necklace with a locket, or a locket that she can wear herself.
3. Invite one-at-a-time new friends from class to your house for play time. These ought to be fairly short, at first. You can work up to 2 or 3 kids at a time later; and later still, encourage her to go over to new friends houses (again, for pre-planned SHORT visits at first-- it's important that the playtime ends as planned, NOT ends when one or both kids fall apart!)

Read the Original Article: Need advice with our 4 yr old and school