Q.

My 3 year old daughter was a micro-preemie. Her health is perfect but her clitoris is abnormally large. What can we do?

Should we have corrective surgery performed, or is there specialist who can offer us some guidance?

Pediatrics
Cohen Children's Medical Center
A.

Difficult as it may be, I would try to take a deep breath -- and -- I would definitely not pursue any surgery at this stage.

If you want to explore medical causes, I would strongly encourage you to go to a pediatric endocrinolgist for evaluation. In addition to doing some blood work for hormone levels, he or she may also order some straight-forward genetic tests. Hopefully you have this type of specialist nearby; if not, I would suggest you make arrangements to see one in a neighboring city. If you cannot do this immediately, you could also get another opinion from a different general pediatrician. But, I woud still push for the sub-specialty consultation.

Read the Original Article: Is it because she was a micro-preemie? Very concerned...