My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Ask Your Question

WebMD Answers

120 Characters remaining
120 Characters remaining
  • First, try and keep your question as short as possible.
  • Include specific words that will help us identify questions that may already have your answer.
  • If you don't find your answer, you can post your question to WebMD Experts and Contributors.


Posted: | Report This Report Question |

My 3 year old daughter was a micro-preemie. Her health is perfect but her clitoris is abnormally large. What can we do?

Should we have corrective surgery performed, or is there specialist who can offer us some guidance?

Answers From Experts & Organizations (1)

Cohen Children's Medical Center
29 Answers
117 Helpful Votes

Difficult as it may be, I would try to take a deep breath -- and -- I would definitely not pursue any surgery at this stage.

If you want to explore medical causes, I would strongly encourage you to go to a pediatric endocrinolgist for evaluation. In addition to doing some blood work for hormone levels, he or she may also order some straight-forward genetic tests. Hopefully you have this type of specialist nearby; if not, I would suggest you make arrangements to see one in a neighboring city. If you cannot do this immediately, you could also get another opinion from a different general pediatrician. But, I woud still push for the sub-specialty consultation.

This answer should not be considered medical advice...down arrowThis answer should not be considered medical advice and should not take the place of a doctor’s visit. Please see the bottom of the page for more information or visit our Terms and Conditions.up arrow

| Report This Report Answer

Was this helpful?


Thanks for your feedback.

7 of 7 found this helpful
Read the Original Article: Is it because she was a micro-preemie? Very concerned...