Q.

What does it mean if my baby's bowel movements change color, and when do I need to be concerned?

Related Topics: Bowel Movement, Baby

A.

Don't be frightened by the color changes of your baby's bowel movements. In normal infants, BMs change color as the baby's diet changes, as the digestive tract matures, and as it is populated by new, normal bacteria. It's rare that color changes signal a digestive problem. Usually color changes just mean that there is more or less of the yellow/green/brown/orange pigments that are picked up along the way.

When to worry about baby's bowel mvements:

• If the color of your baby's stools stay chalky white, there may be no bile from the liver to digest the food.
  • If the stool is tarry black, there may be blood in the digestive tract that has turned dark black as it traveled down the intestines.
  • If there is bright red blood in the stools, there usually has been some blood expressed very close to the anus. A red stool can also be caused by certain medicines, beets, and food colorings. If it's needed, your pediatrician can test your baby's stool to see if blood is present.
You don't need to worry about green, orange, and yellow stools. They are par for the course and are rarely a sign of a digestive problem.

Read the Original Article: Color Changes in Your Baby's Bowel Movements