Q.

My 6-year-old's surgery is postponed because the lab says it can't draw blood from her "rolling veins." What now?

Related Topics: Vein, Surgery

Pediatrics
Cohen Children's Medical Center
A.

Out of curiosity, from what parts of her body did they try to draw blood besides the mid-arm? For example, did they attempt to draw blood from veins in her hands? What about her feet?

If these other areas were not tried, they may be more fruitful. EMLA is definitely a great option since it provides total anesthesia (no pain) if applied more than an hour in advance. It can be applied in multiple locations well in advance of the next attempted blood draw. Hopefully your daughter is not too traumatized by the failed attempts at blood drawing.

Speak with your child's doctor about using EMLA in the future.

Read the Original Article: 6-year-old with "rolling veins"?