Q.

What is a fatty liver, and will weight loss help?

Hepatology
American Gastroenterological Association
A.
Once a fatty liver shows up by imaging studies - such as a sonongram, it means that at least 30% of your liver is laden with fat. This is very unhealthy for your liver and impacts your likelihood of curing HCV with antiviral treatment. ... In addition to a healthy weight-loss diet and exercise program, studies have demonstrated that the following vitamins may be helpful in treating fatty livers - Vitamin E, Betaine, Vitamin C, Vitamin D. Of course, prior to starting any new diet/vitamins/and exercise you must check with your personal physician, as he/she knows the details of your history best.

... I actually researched and published on this issue over 2 decades ago -- and found that losing 10% of your current body weight will significantly impact the amount of fat on your liver. ...

Read the Original Article: Fatty Liver

A.
  • I was diagnosed with fatty liver in about 2005 from my primary care doctor. At the time I liked to drink a few beers with the boys and he said I needed to stop my drinking. Well I started to research on the topic. Much of what I read, pointed toward, and my doctor agreed that weight loss was the main issue. So I told him I wanted to look at getting weight loss surgery. Him and I disagree here because he thought I just needed to totally quit drinking, and I thought lets try weight loss surgery and possibly supplements to help. While we still disagreed some, he made me appointment with a weight loss center in Spokane Wa. To this day that was the best decision I have made. Ever since then my ability to help my own liver numbers have been much easier. I have been using milk thistle along with weight loss ever since and am doing very good even today with good blood work ups and so forth. My doctor though is still negative on what I did. Oh well its 2015. Liver numbers still good!!!! I still drink some and take milk thistle.