Hepatology
American Gastroenterological Association
A.
A Fibroscan is a non invasive imaging study that evaluates the degree of liver stiffness, or scaring, known as fibrosis. It does this by determining the speed of sound waves through the liver utilizing a sonogram.
Similar to blood tests such as Fibrotest and fibrosure, the fibroscan works well in determing the 2 extremes of liver disease - minimal or no scarring from cirrhosis. It does not work so well in evaluating moderately damaged livers and this scan is not yet approved in the U.S. Liver biopsy, while not perfect, still remains the gold standard for determining the stage of liver disease.

Read the Original Article: Doctors - Can you tell me about Fibroscan?