Q.

What could explain a period with heavy bleeding and clotting that occurs for two days and then suddenly stops?

Related Topics: Period

Women's Health
A.

The bleeding pattern you have described can be common as women move into their 40's. Women have described it as "having all my period flow within the first 48 hours--with spotting on either side". If you are near this age group then the most likely explanation is a decline in progesterone produced by the ovaries as we age.

If you are in your 20's then the fear is that one may have had a miscarriage. Yet with a miscarriage bleeding tends to be prolonged. If you have any risk for pregnancy you should get a reliable pregnancy test. If the test is negative, my best GUESS would be a missed ovulation. This can trigger heavier (or lighter) flows than usual. Alas, this condition is difficult to confirm unless the woman has a history of erratic/missed periods.

In terms of the large clots/tissue, when we send such specimens to the lab, the report returns as: white blood cells, red blood cells, fibrin, and other components of uterine lining tissue. It can look different as it is more solid that the liver-like consistence of blood clots. Many women worry that this is linked to a missed miscarriage, but that is not the usual explanation. When the bleeding is very heavy the volume of bleeding outstrips the enzyme produced by the lining of the uterus designed to keep the flow liquid (easier to pass through the cervical canal). Thus when large clots are seen we see that as a confirmation of heavier than normal bleeding. ...

Read the Original Article: Period with large clots excessive bleeding then stops