Q.

My wife is in her fifties and hasn't had a period in over three years. Could she still get pregnant?

Related Topics: Period, Pregnancy

Women's Health
A.

When a women has had a natural menopause..., we suggest that birth control be used for 12 months after the last natural period. The reason is that some women will have a temporary interruption of ovulations/periods creating months of no periods. Then periods and possible fertility can resume. This is especially common during the four years preceding menopause, and the year following probable last natural period.

Bottom line, after three years, in a woman over 53 years old, pregnancy is unlikely. ...

Read the Original Article: Ml1001

A.

Get off the pills!! I was taking ortho-tricycline for years, 50 yrs old, ended up in hospital with "cardiac event", got to choose a cardiologist, chewed me out royally for taking birth control pills @ my age (and my Gyno had recommended them to help me sail through menopause). Little did I know they could have killed me...Cause High Blood Pressure, Blood Clots--I was a heart attack waiting to happen and Dr. said I definitely was headed for a STROKE!  Get the blood test to show if you are in menopause to know for sure. Use condoms, get a hysterectomy, whatever, but don't kill yourself! When young, the pill is great; no place for the over 50 crowd.