Q.

I have been told that I have a cervical pregnancy. What does this mean?

Related Topics: Pregnancy, Cervix

Obstetrics & Gynecology
Mercy Medical Center
A.

It is a very dangerous type of pregnancy which is not associated with the ability to have a live baby. The longer this type of pregnancy goes, the higher the risk of major complications to the mother.

This type of pregnancy is associated with a very high risk of significant vaginal bleeding and need for blood transfusion.

I would suggest you see a high risk obstetrician (Maternal Fetal Medicine) to assess the pregnancy. if they agree it is a cervical pregnancy, you will need to have it removed with great care.

There are a number of ways of handling this. Medication can be given (a chemotherapeutic agent-medicine to treat cancer) to kill the active cells. A dilation and curretage can be performed and a foley catheter can be placed to prevent the heavy bleeding. ...

Read the Original Article: Cervical Pregnancy