Q.

I am taking diclofenac for a sprained ligament. Can I use Nabutone for the same pain?

Related Topics: Sprain, Ligament, Pain

Pharmacology
A.
Diclofenac and nabutone are both nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). Diclofenac and nabutone are both used to relieve pain, tenderness, swelling, and stiffness caused by osteoarthritis (arthritis caused by a breakdown of the lining of the joints) and rheumatoid arthritis (arthritis caused by swelling of the lining of the joints). In addition, diclofenac is used to aid with ankylosing spondylitis (arthritis that mainly affects the spine).

These medications are very similar. However, you should consult your physician or health care provider before using another medication that wasn’t originally prescribed for the sprained ligament. Before you substitute nabutone for the diclofenac, make sure the prescriber is fine with the switch.

Read the Original Article: Fitness Aches and Pains: Ask the Pharmacist