Q.

My new omeprazole prescription (40 mg twice daily) is working, but must I always take it on an empty stomach?

Related Topics: Stomach

Pharmacology
A.

Omeprazole 40 mg twice daily is a high dose and is not recommended over a long period of time. It is a safe and effective medication used within the recommended prescribing guidelines.

The medication is intended to decrease the release of stomach acid. Therefore it is the most effective if taken 30 minutes prior to having a meal.

This medication has 24-hour coverage. Therefore, it should not be taken prior to every meal. It is intended to be taken on an empty stomach. If you take it with food, the stomach will release acid to digest the food. The acid can decrease the absorption of the medication, and decrease the effectiveness. Therefore, I would not recommend taking the medication with food or a meal.

It is important to take the dose 30 minutes prior to a meal or first thing in the morning.

Read the Original Article: Heartburn and Indigestion