Q.

Can I take Vicodin if I have had gastric bypass surgery?

Pharmacology
A.

There has been much discussion about the low absorption of medications after gastric bypass surgery. In your case, the absorption should not be affected. However, we are more concerned about side effects from medications that can hurt your system after this serious procedure.

Pain medications have been used after gastric bypass surgery, although sparingly. It is important to remember that Vicodin (hydrocodone and acetaminophen) can cause constipation. We do not want to further increase your risk of discomfort. So minimal use of pain medication, with or without a stool softener, is advised. The important key is to weigh the risks and benefits. We do not want you to be in pain, but we also don’t want to over medicate or cause too many side effects.

With proper rest and healing time, pain medications may not have to be used at all. Follow the advice and instructions you received from your surgeon.

Read the Original Article: Digestive Problems: Ask the Pharmacist