Q.

If I have some Miralax that is expired, would it be a safe to give it to anyone?

Pharmacology
A.

Expiration dates are printed on the medication container for a reason. I would advise you NOT to use this medication, since the expiration date has passed. Medications can change effectiveness. And you wouldn’t know how to supplement the dose to make it accurate. Some medications can become “sour” after they expire. And you wouldn’t want to become sick from taking an expired medication.

I would dispose of expired medication with a local pharmacy, through a local drug take-back program (check with your local police department), or through proper disposal at home. To dispose of medication at home, mix drugs (crush first if in tablet form) with an undesirable substance, such as cat litter or used coffee grounds, and place in a plastic sandwich bag. Seal the bag and double bag to prevent leakage. Throw the bag in the trash, keeping it out of reach of children and animals. Do not flush medication down the toilet or pour it into a drain.

Read the Original Article: Digestive Problems: Ask the Pharmacist