Q.

I take amitriptyline for headaches, and now the doctor gave me Ambien for sleep. Can I take these medications together?

Related Topics: Headache, Drug

Pharmacology
A.
There is a moderate drug interaction between these two medications. The disabling of the motor coordination and mental alertness is effected with one medication alone. Both medications give an additive effect, or intensify the side effects. Depending on the dose doctors worry about respiratory depression. However, if the medications are taken according to the physician's directions there shouldn't be any issues. Just be cautious of the cognitive capabilities while on both these medications.

Read the Original Article: Headache and Migraine Treatment: Ask the Pharmacist