Q.

I have or think I have Thrush, when should I contact my doctor?

Related Topics: Thrush

Medical Reference
A.

If you think you may have thrush but it has not been diagnosed, see the topic Mouth Problems, Noninjury to evaluate your symptoms.

Call your doctor today if you or your child has been diagnosed with thrush and:

• You have symptoms that show the infection may be spreading, such as white patches on the skin outside of the mouth.
  • Your symptoms are getting worse or have not improved within 7 days of starting treatment.

Thrush in an infant's mouth can spread to the breast of the nursing mother. This can cause nipple redness and pain. Contact your doctor if you have redness and pain in the nipples in spite of home treatment or if you have burning pain in the nipple area when you nurse. Your baby's mouth should be examined to determine whether thrush is causing your symptoms.

Watchful Waiting

If you have previously been diagnosed with thrush and you believe you may have another thrush infection, home treatment may help. Very mild cases of thrush may clear up without medical treatment. Seek your doctor's advice if:

• Your symptoms are getting worse or are not improving in spite of home treatment.
  • Your symptoms recur frequently.
  • You have HIV infection, cancer, or another condition that weakens your immune system.

Who To See

The following health professionals can diagnose and treat thrush:

Other specialists may be required if other organs become infected or other conditions develop. The type of specialist depends on the organs affected and may include the following:

To prepare for your appointment, see the topic Making the Most of Your Appointment.

Read the Original Article: Thrush-When To Call a Doctor
WebMD Medical Reference from Healthwise Healthwise This information is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. Healthwise disclaims any liability for the decisions you make based on this information. © 1995-2011 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.