Q.

I have or think I have Fibromyalgia, when should I contact my doctor?

Related Topics: Fibromyalgia

Medical Reference
A.

Call your doctor if you have had the following symptoms for more than 6 weeks without an obvious cause. They may be signs of fibromyalgia, especially if they have developed gradually.

• Widespread muscle tenderness and pain, particularly on both sides of the body and both above and below the waist
  • Disturbed sleep (tossing, turning, waking up frequently during the night) and waking up feeling tired and unrested
  • Muscle and joint stiffness that doesn't get better when you move around

If you have fibromyalgia, be alert to symptoms of depression, such as a loss of interest in things you usually enjoy or changes in eating and sleeping habits. These can often be successfully treated if you tell your doctor about them.

Watchful Waiting

Watchful waiting means taking a wait-and-see approach. It is normal to have sore muscles when you overexert yourself. This pain usually will go away after a few days. If you think you are injured and the muscle or joint pain does not go away in a few days (no more than a week), talk with your doctor.

Who To See

Not every doctor will be comfortable diagnosing or treating the symptoms of fibromyalgia, because it still is not a well-defined disorder. Be sure to seek a doctor who is sensitive to your chronic pain, fatigue, and other symptoms associated with fibromyalgia. Health professionals with the most experience with fibromyalgia include:

Other health professionals who may be able to help you manage your fibromyalgia include:

Pain management programs can be helpful, too. These typically include a team of doctors, counselors, nurses, and pharmacists who can help you develop a strategy for pain management. Your personal program may include medicines, complementary therapies, diet, exercise, and counseling.

To prepare for your appointment, see the topic Making the Most of Your Appointment.

Read the Original Article: When to call the doctor for fibromyalgia symptoms - WebMD
WebMD Medical Reference from Healthwise Healthwise This information is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. Healthwise disclaims any liability for the decisions you make based on this information. © 1995-2011 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.