Q.

I have or think I have Cervical Cancer, when should I contact my doctor?

Related Topics: Cervical Cancer

Medical Reference
A.

If you have been diagnosed with cervical cancer, be sure to follow your doctor's instructions about calling when you have problems, new symptoms, or symptoms that get worse.

If you are concerned about your symptoms or if you think you have an increased risk for cervical cancer, call your health professional if you have:

• Unexpected bleeding between menstrual periods.
  • Menstrual periods that are irregular or 1½ to 2 times longer than normal for 3 months in a row. For example, if your menstrual periods usually last 6 days and then they last between 9 and 12 days for 3 months in a row, call your doctor.
  • Severe menstrual bleeding that causes you to change a maxi-pad or super tampon every hour for longer than 8 hours.
  • Unexpected bleeding after douching or sexual intercourse.
  • Pain during sexual intercourse.
  • Abnormal vaginal discharge containing mucus that may be tinged with blood.

Watchful Waiting

Regular Pap test screening is the most important tool in identifying and treating cervical cell changes before they progress to cervical cancer. After cervical cancer has been diagnosed, it should be treated. Watchful waiting is not appropriate.

Who To See

Health professionals who can evaluate your symptoms and your risk factors, and who can diagnose cervical cancer include:

Doctors who can manage your cancer treatment include:

To prepare for your appointment, see the topic Making the Most of Your Appointment.

Read the Original Article: Cervical Cancer-When To Call a Doctor
WebMD Medical Reference from Healthwise Healthwise This information is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. Healthwise disclaims any liability for the decisions you make based on this information. © 1995-2011 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.