Callor other emergency services immediately if:
- You have symptoms of
carbon monoxide poisoning, such as a headache, nausea,
or dizziness, and carbon monoxide poisoning is suspected.
- A person has symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning and appears to
be very confused or disoriented or complains of chest pain. Leave the area of
exposure before calling.
- A person is found unconscious after exposure to carbon monoxide.
Take him or her out of the house, building, vehicle, or area where the gas is
Call your doctor if:
- You have any changes in vision, coordination, or behavior in the
weeks after treatment for carbon monoxide poisoning.
What to do if your carbon monoxide detector sounds the alarm
Tell everyone in the house or building to get out. Call the
fire department or your local utility company from a nearby phone.
The fire department or utility company can check the carbon monoxide
levels in the house or building and identify any problem. If high levels of
carbon monoxide are found in the building, call and discuss the situation with
Watchful waiting is not appropriate if
carbon monoxide poisoning is suspected. Call
or your doctor.
Who To See
The following health professionals can evaluate
carbon monoxide poisoning:
The following health professionals can evaluate delayed
or long-term symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning:
To prepare for your appointment, see the topic Making the Most of Your Appointment.
This answer should not be considered medical advice...This answer should not be considered medical advice and should not take the place of a doctor’s visit. Please see the bottom of the page for more information or visit our Terms and Conditions.
Thanks for your feedback.
1 of 1 found this helpful
WebMD Medical Reference from Healthwise This information is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. Healthwise disclaims any liability for the decisions you make based on this information.
© 1995-2011 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.