Q.

I have allergies to sulfur drugs. Is it OK to take Lasix?

Related Topics: Allergy, Sulfur, Drug

Pharmacology
A.

If you have a true allergy to sulfa medications then Lasix may not be for you. It does contain sulfa product. If you have difficulty breathing, or your airways feel like they are closing off, or a rash has developed, specifically on the trunk of the body, then you should stop taking this medication immediately and consult with your pharmacist and health care provider.

It is important to differentiate between allergies to medications and side effects. If you have experienced intolerable side effects to medications containing sulfa products, that doesn’t mean you are allergic. Work with you local pharmacist and physician to re-evaluate this situation and to make sure you are taking medication that is appropriate for you.

Read the Original Article: Drug Safety and Drug Interactions: Ask the Pharmacist