Q.

Would Parkinson's disease and/or its medications cause someone to be crude and vulgar or to make sexual innuendoes?

Related Topics: Parkinson's Disease, Drug

Parkinson's Disease
Duke Medicine
A.

We have recently published a paper on this topic. It may be found by going to PubMed, and searching: "DOMINION." )You may also type in "Stacy, M" - if you would like additional information.

In the DOMINION trial, we interviewed almost 3,000 patients with PD, and found compulsive spending, gambling, sexual behavior, and eating to be in 13.6 of the PD population. While we were not able to make any assumptions about risk factors, these behaviors are associated with advancing PD, and increasing dosages of levodopa or dopamine agonists (pramipexole or ropinirole).

Treatment is intially reducing PD medications - usually the dopamine agonist. I would advise you to call your Neurologist today, and ask for some direction on how to reduce the appropriate medication.

Read the Original Article: Parkinson Disease & Meds side affects...