Q.

How can I determine if my new glasses are causing my headaches?

Related Topics: Headache

Neurologist
Duke Pain and Palliative Care Clinic
A.

There are several things you can check with the glasses. (I wear glasses too, when I don't have contact in.)

1.If you have astigmatism, the lens needs to be correctly centered on your eyeball, and if it is off, you will feel off balance.

2.If the difference between the right and left eye (in terms of how strong the lens power is) is high (more than about 2 number units, like 1.00 in one eye and 3.00 in the other) you may feel off balance until you get used to the new glasses.

3. If the "power" of your lenses is pretty high ( or - 2.50 or higher) you will notice that things are distorted in your peripheral vision.

4. If the nose piece/support or the temple pieces (that go over your ears) are not adjusted just right for your face the glasses could give you a headache (no ones face is perfectly symmetric, and most people have one eye or ear slightly higher than the other)

I've had problems with both #2 and #3 above, and several patients with problems from #1 and #4 as a cause for headaches.

Bifocal lens have similar problems as #1 above.

Read the Original Article: Headache for 4 days