Q.

What should I expect from having knee manipulation after total knee replacement (TKR)?

Related Topics: Knee

Orthopaedics
Duke Orthopaedics Adult Reconstructive Surgery
A.

It is not that uncommon to have to have a manipulation after TKA [total knee arthroplasty]. Most studies suggest that the need for this procedure after TKA ranges between 1 and 6%. It is most important to act quickly after the surgery and make the decision to do this if the patient is having trouble gaining motion. The patient is put to sleep and the knee is bent to break up the scar adhesions that have formed. There will be some pain afterwards and it is critical to get right back in to therapy after the procedure.

Read the Original Article: Knee manipulation