My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Ask Your Question

WebMD Answers

120 Characters remaining
120 Characters remaining
  • First, try and keep your question as short as possible.
  • Include specific words that will help us identify questions that may already have your answer.
  • If you don't find your answer, you can post your question to WebMD Experts and Contributors.


Posted: | Report This Report Question |

What will happen at my doctor's appointment to discuss erectile dysfunction, or ED?

Related Topics: Erectile Dysfunction

Answers From Experts & Organizations (1)

7,995 Answers
373,614 Helpful Votes

Some men are afraid to bring the subject up once they're in the doctor's office. The best approach is to be straight forward and simply say, "I think I may have ED." It's very unlikely that your doctor is going to be shocked or embarrassed by that.

If, however, it does appear as the conversation proceeds that your doctor isn't comfortable talking about sexual issues with you, ask if the doctor can refer you to a urologist.

The doctor will start by asking your medical history to learn more about your symptoms, medical conditions, and medication use. Many of the questions may seem extremely personal. But it's important to answer them fully and honestly. The doctor will need the information in order to know how to approach treating you. The questions may include:

  • Do you ever get an erection?
  • If you do, is it firm enough to have intercourse?
  • If you do start intercourse, do you then lose the erection? Does it ever come back?
  • Can you get an erection by masturbation?
  • Do you ever wake from sleep with an erection?

The doctor will want to know whether you smoke, how much alcohol you drink, and whether or not you use recreational drugs. All of this information is essential for identifying or ruling out factors that can be contributing to the ED.

The doctor will also do a physical exam, including examining your penis and your prostate. The exam may include blood tests and other lab tests to check for potential medical problems such as diabetes or heart disease that could be related to ED.

If further tests or examination is necessary, the doctor may refer you to a urologist. When you see the urologist, you should ask the same questions you asked your own doctor, and you should expect the urologist to ask questions very similar to the ones your doctor asked.

It may feel awkward at first to talk with your doctor about erectile dysfunction. But because there are effective treatments available, many of them simple, starting the conversation is well worth doing. And once you do, chances are very good you'll be glad you did.

This answer should not be considered medical advice...down arrowThis answer should not be considered medical advice and should not take the place of a doctor’s visit. Please see the bottom of the page for more information or visit our Terms and Conditions.up arrow

| Report This Report Answer
Archived: March 20, 2014

Was this helpful?


Thanks for your feedback.

35 of 37 found this helpful
Read the Original Article: Discussing Erectile Dysfunction With Your Doctor