Q.

How should I get ready to see my doctor about erectile dysfunction, or ED?

Related Topics: Erectile Dysfunction, Vision

A.

The first thing to keep in mind is there is no reason to be anxious about talking about erection problems with your doctor. ED is a common male health issue, and doctors routinely treat men for erectile dysfunction. If you don't want to tell the receptionist at the appointment desk about why you want to come in, you can say you want to talk to the doctor about a male health issue.

The next thing to do is to make a list of information the doctor will want when he talks to you. The list should include:

• All medications that you take, including prescription and over-the-counter medications, herbal remedies and supplements, and vitamins.
  • Relevant facts about your ED symptoms. For instance, when did symptoms begin? Did it come on gradually or was it sudden? Does it happen every time you want to have sex or does it occur randomly or only under certain circumstances?
  • Key personal information. For instance, have there been recent stresses in your life? Have there been any major changes, such as losing a job or getting a new one, moving, or a change in responsibility either at home or at work?
  • Make a list of questions you want to ask the doctor.

Consider asking your partner to come along with you to see the doctor. Your partner can help by filling in information that you may forget or may not have thought of. Your partner can also ask questions to clarify what the doctor means and help you remember later what the doctor says. But most important is that the doctor can help your partner understand what erectile dysfunction is, which can help you reassure your partner that you still want an intimate relationship.

Read the Original Article: Discussing Erectile Dysfunction With Your Doctor

Next Question: