Q.

Are there different symptoms for different ankle injuries?

Related Topics: Injury, Ankle

A.

The symptoms of a sprain and of a fracture are very similar. In fact, fractures can sometimes be mistaken for sprains. That's why it's important to have an ankle injury evaluated by a doctor as soon as possible. The signs include:

• Pain, often sudden and severe
  • Swelling
  • Bruising
  • Inability to walk or bear weight on the injured joint

With a sprain, the ankle may also be stiff.  With a fracture the area will be tender to the touch, and the ankle may also look deformed or out of place.

If the sprain is mild, the swelling and pain may be slight. But with a severe sprain, there is much swelling and the pain is typically intense.

Tendinitis and acute tears of the peroneal tendon result in both pain and swelling. In addition, the ankle area will feel warm to the touch with tendinitis. With an acute tear, there will be a weakness or instability of the foot and ankle.

Tendinosis may take years to develop. Symptoms include:

• Sporadic pain on the outside of the ankle
  • Weakness or instability in the ankle
  • An increase in the height of the foot's arch

With the subluxation you will notice ankle instability or weakness. You also may notice sporadic pain behind the outside ankle bone and a "snapping" feeling around the ankle bone.

Read the Original Article: Ankle Injuries: Causes and Treatments

A.

I was in a car accident, where we rolled 4 times. I had a large knot in the top part of my thigh.. 22 days later I noticed my right ankle start to swell.. I blamed it on being to hot out side & done allot of walk this day.. The next morning the swelling was into my calf as well.. Then from my knee cap too my toes turned ice cold, as if I kept my leg in an ice-box.. I went and seen my dr. and he sent me rite over to the hospital for a deep vain-throices.. Found nothing other then the knot in my leg that I told her of, plus she could see it & the swelling.. This was on a Friday.. So my dr. told me to keep off it, and elevate it.. I did so.. Monday morning there was NO CHANGE.. I called my dr. back and they said he'd call me back.. At 3:30pm 5 hours later, I called back, and she told me he would call around 4:30-5:00pm.. No return call.. So yesterday I went to the E.R. and they did a bunch of test, and found nothing, that would be causing me the swelling... The ER dr. said that it MAY be the knot dispersing and the fluid from it is going to the lower end of the knot area, but to keep my foot up, stay off it as much as I can.. I've stayed off it, but I'm still having swelling, and pain on the out-side of my right thigh, and tenderness in my ankles.. Please tell me what this could be from, and if there is any other test they should do.. They have done blood-work, urain, CT.          2 ulltasounds, E.K.G.  I didn't mention that in the roll over I got a bad concousin, and something scalbed me.. My hair has stated to grow back out.. Please help me to help them to find what it is that is causing this.. Oh yea, I also have really bad headache, and I get tired real easy.. And they have not done any CT or MRI on my brain.. PLEASE HELP ME... IT'S GOT ME VERY WORRIED... Thanks for your help.. Amanda LaRock

A.
I experience dizziness, shortness of breath, exhaustion, swelling in the legs too extreme pain in the joints, irritability, was tested for bacteria and was a flat line test, called a breath test for two hours

A.

I have sores on both feet on the outside of each foot, taking a long time to heal.......for over a month the left foot is swollen and tender.  Somewhat discolored.  Somewhat uncomfortable to get around

Next Question: