Q.

Would it be a good idea to take my son off of the Staterra for the summer months?

Pediatrics
Cohen Children's Medical Center
A.

The decisioin to discontinue medication for the summer is very personal and individual; the answer should depend on the relative problems without the medicine, the magnitude of the benefit from the medication, and also the magnitude of the side effects from the medication.

Doctors will sometimes stop treatment with a stimulant since the benefits return quickly when they are resumed. Strattera (atomoxetine) takes a month or more before it works fully, and it is for this reason that many doctors do not discontinue this medication over the summer. If you only have 2 months off for the summer and you would want to resume the medication 5-6 weeks before school, it does not lead to much of a medication holiday. 

Read the Original Article: ADHD