Q.

How can I get rid of unwanted facial hair?

Related Topics: Hair

Dermatology
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgery and Skin Care
A.
As a woman, it can be especially difficult to deal with unwanted facial hair. Many of my patients are in tears, I understand! The situation can be more embarrassing and expensive if the hair is not removed properly.

First, ask your doctor to help you determine the reason why you have facial hair. You deserve to know the cause, especially if it's associated with abnormal hormone levels. You may need to address other medical issues, in addition to removing hair. After you've determined the cause, the good news is that there are options available to remove your facial hair.

The closest to permanent removal is laser hair removal (LHR). It is extremely important to make sure that the place you choose has a physician that is experienced with performing LHR on individuals of all skin types and skin complexions. In LHR a laser is directed through the skin to the hair follicle; this in turn stops the hair growth. A patient may require between 4 to 6 treatments, depending on the area. Maintaining monthly appointments will give you the best results. If you need to remove facial hair in between appointments, it is important that you shave only because the laser is attracted to the hair follicle.

Vaniqa (eflornithine HCl) is a topical cream your physician can prescribe to reduce the growth of unwanted facial hair. Vaniqa works by blocking the enzymes in the follicle that are necessary for the hair to grow. Most woman see result within 6 to 8 weeks, and it is safe for woman of all skin types and ethnic backgrounds.

Here are some other options. If you can get over the old tale that shaving makes you have more hair, then shaving is one safe option. Shaving is fairly inexpensive and can last up to five days. For best results use a razor that has a protective tip, along with warm water and a moisturizing shaving cream. Shave in the direction the hair grows to avoid hair bumps and apply a moisturizer to the area after shaving. Shaving does not cause more hair to grow; it just cuts the hair in the middle of the hair shaft, the thickest part.

Depilatory lotions, such as Nair, dissolve hair as it reacts to the protein structure of the hair. Hair can then be rinsed off or wiped away. These creams work quickly and results can last up to two weeks. Inflammation or a rash can occur in individuals with sensitive skin. Try a test spot first, to
see how your skin reacts. Be sure to read and follow all the instructions on the product label.

I do not suggest that you use methods that pull hair from the root, such as waxing , electrolysis, or tweezing. Not only are these methods painful, there is a risk of scarring when using these methods to remove facial hair. Take your time in seeking out what method will work best for you, remember, it is your face.

Read the Original Article: Unwanted facial hair