My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Ask Your Question

WebMD Answers

120 Characters remaining
120 Characters remaining
  • First, try and keep your question as short as possible.
  • Include specific words that will help us identify questions that may already have your answer.
  • If you don't find your answer, you can post your question to WebMD Experts and Contributors.


Posted: | Report This Report Question |

How can I find a reasonably priced, qualified mental health counselor?

Related Topics: Mental Health

Answers From Experts & Organizations (1)

14 Answers
184 Helpful Votes

... When looking for a therapist, it is important to find one that is qualified, affordable, and that you can connect well with.

When you first talk with a therapist (either on the phone or in person), consider it an interview to see if the person is right for you. Ask about their credentials, making sure that they are a licensed psychiatrist, psychologist, social worker, or counselor. Offer a thumbnail sketch of your issue, and ask if this is the kind of issue that they treat and have expertise with. Ask what their approach is and why they think it would be helpful for you. As you listen to these answers, think about whether you feel comfortable not only with what they are saying but also with how they are saying it.

In terms of finding someone you can afford, you might want to try a local clinic, hospital, or teaching institution (a school that trains therapists might have its own clinic) because they might have a sliding scale. Although those in training are less experienced (a downside) and might make you think twice about going, they also receive supervision-- and, sometimes the training is for experienced people working on a more advanced degree. Again, if you feel comfortable, that is most important (along with proper qualifications). You might want to check with The Self-Help Support Group Clearinghouse for both self-help groups and recommendations for where to seek sliding scale professional help.... Try the state or local professional associations (i.e. for psychologists or social workers) and ask if they can direct you. And, whoever you call for help, if they cannot help, ask if they can direct you as to where to get help....

This answer should not be considered medical advice...down arrowThis answer should not be considered medical advice and should not take the place of a doctor’s visit. Please see the bottom of the page for more information or visit our Terms and Conditions.up arrow

| Report This Report Answer

Was this helpful?


Thanks for your feedback.

8 of 8 found this helpful
Read the Original Article: Hopelessly devoted