Q.

Can I get my hair dyed while pregnant?

Related Topics: Pregnancy

Obstetrics & Gynecology
Mercy Medical Center
A.

This is a very interesting question with many different opinions. Some say you should not have your hair dyed. Some say you can have highlights placed. Part of the issue is when you have your hair dyed, the chemicals will be more likely to be against your scalp and possibly be absorbed while those who have highlights will not have the chemicals be against the scalp and not be absorbed.

We typically don't recommend having your hair dyed in the first trimester of pregnancy since this time is the most risky to the fetus. This time is called organogenesis where the organs are forming.

When women ask me about dying their hair, I usually ask is it imperative. Most say it is not and so I say hold off. I offer highlights.

My answers are not necessarily based on solid scientific data. It is more based on common sense which says if you don't need to put chemicals on your body during pregnancy you probably should not.

Read the Original Article: Can I get my hair dyed while pregnant? I am 8 weeks pregnant with my first child and I want to make sure that its okay. Thank you!

A.
My doctor told me to go for it! I was in my second trimester (towards the end of it) She said as long as it doesn't have ammonia in it or strong smelling chemicals I was fine :) I had my baby girls with NO problems from it.