Q.

Are celiac disease and fibromyalgia related?

Related Topics: Celiac Disease, Fibromyalgia

Fibromyalgia
A.

Many people report improvement in their fibro symptoms once they get control of their celiac disease. The amount of improvement reported varies, from a little to a lot. I have one patient whose FM symptoms went away 100% after six weeks on a strict gluten-free diet.

I had made the original diagnosis of FM based on widespread pain and 14 of 18 positive tender points on exam. When I re-examined her after her diet changes and resolution of her symptoms, I was pleasantly shocked to find no positive tender points at all. Her FM was gone!

In her case, she had a FM-like condition due to celiac disease (not true FM as I originally thought) that was reversible with treatment of the celiac disease.

Read the Original Article: Dr P... a question