Q.

What is the normal range for vitamin D?

Related Topics: Vitamin D

Fibromyalgia
A.

The 25-hydroxy vitamin D test is the most accurate way to measure how much vitamin D is in your body. The "normal range" was recently modified as we are learning more and more about its importance.... Researchers realized that too many people were deficient even at 20 The previous low was about 20. Now it's been increased to about 30, with the high end about 80 (I say "about" because of the variations among different lab facilities) So 30-80 range is "normal." I try for 50 in the patients I'm treating.

The vitamin D gurus tell us they really don't see vitamin D toxicity, and the true high end is probably unknown. I've never seen anyone with a level over 100 yet. The emphasis is on detecting vitamin D deficiency, which is widespread, and treating it.

Read the Original Article: Dr. P

A.
The range listed on my recent labs (Quest Diagnostics) is 30-100 ng/mL.  I tested out of range, at 110,  (Vitamin D 25, D3).

So here I am over the 100 mark.  My endocrinologist had me begin a daily therapeutic dose of 5,000 IU back in 2010, when I seemed to be catching every little cold, norovirus and URI.  Sure enough, labs came back reporting my levels to be out of range low.  

I am happy to report that I have not been ill with anything since early 2010, when I began the 5,000 IU.  Since this is a fat soluble vitamin and can be potentially toxic at high doses, it is wise to consult with your physician before attempting such a daily dose. I am monitored carefully.