Q.

How much fruit can you eat as a diabetic?

Related Topics: Diabetes, Fruit

Tufts Medical Center
A.

In my view the role of fruit depends on the overall eating strategy. If one is doing "Atkins" or another very low carb approach then it can be problematic to eat more than a little fruit, especially the higher glycemic ones like banana, pineapple, and grapes.

However, for my patients who aim to follow my usual eating strategy, focusing on vegetables/fruits/lean proteins and lowfat dairy, (and minimizing all grains and fatty meats and dairy), I have not been limiting their fruit intake, with the exception of dried fruit limited to 1/4 cup daily.

At first I was a little hesitant to encourage fruit without limit, but my experience with "diabetes reversal" has reinforced this strategy time and time again. Fruit has been crucially important for helping my patients stick to the plan. Most of these patients eat 3 pieces of fruit daily, for example an apple, an orange, and a banana. Some patients eat even more. I rarely have to intervene and ask a patient to reel it in on the fruit intake. It helps so much with weight loss, which offsets the rise in glucose levels that otherwise might occur. Another reason I can get away with prescribing unlimited fruit is because I'm so strict about minimizing starch intake.

Put it this way--every type 2 patient I've coached into remission eats at least 2 servings of fruit per day.

Read the Original Article: Fruit?