Q.

What are the symptoms of insect and spider bites?

Related Topics: Spider Bite

A.

Most insect bites produce only minor irritation, with symptoms such as:

• Swelling at the site of the bite.
  • Itching or burning.
  • Local numbness or tingling.

Bites of poisonous spiders and scorpions may produce these symptoms:

• Intense pain at the site of the wound.
  • Stiffness or joint pain.
  • Muscle spasms.
  • Abdominal pain, nausea, or vomiting.
  • Fever or chills.
  • Difficulty breathing or swallowing.
  • A spreading, ulcerated wound or tissue death.
  • Dizziness, impaired speech, or convulsions.

An insect or spider bite can rarely cause a potentially fatal allergic reaction known as anaphylactic shock. Its symptoms include:

• Rapid swelling of the lips, tongue, throat, or around the eyes.
  • Difficulty breathing.
  • Wheezing or hoarseness.
  • Severe itching, cramping, or numbness.
  • Dizziness.
  • A reddish rash or hives.
  • Stomach cramps.
  • Loss of consciousness.

Please call 911 immediately if you are having chest pain, difficulty breathing, severe bleeding, sudden weakness or numbness, or if you think you have a medical emergency.

Read the Original Article: Understanding Insect and Spider Bites - Symptoms

A.

3 days ago I was woken to a bite on my neck. Red, swollen, itchy and for the last 3 days I have had stomach pains and have not been able to keep much food down. Is this related to the bite or something else. I am Female, 60, and diabetic.. Thank you Jan

A.
I'm 59 yrs old. 6 weeks ago I got bit by a spider (Black Widow I think) packing up my garage for a move; crawled up my pant leg, bit front of my thigh. Several bite marks in a semi-circle with irregular red swelling in middle about size of quarter. 6 - 8 hrs later my left leg from thigh to toes swelled up so much I couldn't bend knee or ankle. Felt like I pulled every muscle in my leg then the cramping started, very painful, couldn't do anything about it. Also had abdominal cramps/pain.  Got the sweats and a slight fever. Started sneezing 10 - 12 times in a row. Headache. Difficulty sleeping. Leg cramps lasted a day with waves of lessening pain over the next 2 weeks. Swelling subsided after 2 weeks. Gastrointestinal felt liquified and I sat on the john 3 to 5 times a day with gas and diarrhea. Drank lots of fluids. This has lasted over 5 weeks with lessening severity. Oddest symptom was that any food with sugar in it tasted like the smell of burnt, painted electrical parts. This has also lasted over 5 weeks with lessening severity. I have still not fully recovered.