Q.

How can I prevent sun poisoning?

Related Topics: Poisoning

A.

Follow the basics of sun safety:

• Wear a sunscreen that has an SPF of at least 30 and says "broad-spectrum" on the label, which means that it protects against the sun's UVA and UVB rays. Put it on all over about 15 to 30 minutes before going out in the sun.
  • Reapply about every two hours and after you've been in the water.
  • Limit your sun exposure between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m., and remember that water, snow, and sand can intensify the sun's damaging rays.
  • Wear sunglasses, a hat, and protective clothing.

Check on your medications. Ask your doctor if anything you take might make your skin more sensitive to sunlight. For example, some acne medications, antibiotics, antidepressants, diuretics, heart drugs, and birth control pills make skin more sensitive. So can some antibacterial medications and fragrances that go on your skin.

Read the Original Article: Sun Poisoning