Q.

Why is a “power down hour” important to good sleep?

Sleep Disorders
A.

One of the things I talk about in my book is having what’s called a powered down hour. And in the power down hour, you have 3 twenty minute segments. So, the first segment is forgetting stuff done that you just have to get done or it will drive you crazy. So, in our house, it’s getting backpacks ready for school, finding shoes, you know, things that you do when you have kids.

The second twenty minutes is reserved for hygiene, so brush your teeth, wash your face, maybe even take a hot shower or bath.

The final twenty minutes is reserved for meditation, relaxation, stretching, things of that nature, that I’d want you to do in bed, and I’d want you to do it in the dark, okay.
Because what that does is again, it sets that mood and allows you to start to fall asleep. Now many people don’t have an hour before they get into bed, so you can do the power down half hour if you want, like 10 minutes, 10 minutes, 10 minutes.

Read the Original Article: For Good Sleep, Power Down for an Hour