Health & Sex

Q.

How can sleeping improve my sex life?

Related Topics: Sexual Intercourse

Sleep Disorders
A.

Well, there’s a few different ways. So first of all, if you’re tired, it’s hard to get motivated to have sex. The old, not tonight, I’ve got a headache, probably partially has to do with not tonight because I’m just too tired and that’s one of the things that we talk about a lot. And we also know that with certain sleep disorders, there’s a decrease in libido. Specifically in men with sleep apnea, we’ve noted a significant decrease in libido there, as well as in some women who have apnea. But again, more men than women have apnea until they hit menopause and then the numbers seem to even out.

So anecdotally what we know is that a lot of women report that after my husband and I have sex, or my partner and I have sex, if he’s male, then he falls asleep. That has a tendency to happen anecdotally, we don’t have any great data on it yet, to say whether we know that’s the case or not, but what we have found is that when talking to these individuals, if they have a different type of sex, or more sensual sex as opposed to more vigorous sex, then that has a tendency to lead towards less of a problem with insomnia secondary to having sex.

What I would say is if you’re a woman who is energized by having sex, have it earlier in the evening, okay. The other things is a lot of times women will associate the bed with this energized segment in their life after having sex, so maybe having sex away from the bed could be a good idea. There’s lots of different places in the house that somebody can have sex, and people may want to consider trying that.

Read the Original Article: Better Sleep for a Better Sex Life?

Post Your AnswerCancel

While writing your answer, you may find these tips helpful:

• Please try to keep your answer short and to the point. Be sure the answer is specific to the question asked.
  • To help protect your privacy, you should never submit any question or answer that includes personal information such as a name, phone number, email address, or mailing address.
  • Have a reference? Please include it to support your answer.

Today on WebMD

flowers behind back
Article
Upset woman sitting on bed
Article

couple kissing
Article
Exercises for Better Sex
Video

Life Cycle of a Penis
Article
HIV Myth Facts
Slideshow

How Healthy is Your Sex Life
Quiz
Couple in bed
Video

6 Tips For Teens
Article
Close-up of young man
Article

screening tests for men
Slideshow
HPV Vaccine Future
Article

Important: The opinions expressed in WebMD User-generated content areas like communities, reviews, ratings, blogs, or WebMD Answers are solely those of the User, who may or may not have medical or scientific training. These opinions do not represent the opinions of WebMD. User-generated content areas are not reviewed by a WebMD physician or any member of the WebMD editorial staff for accuracy, balance, objectivity, or any other reason except for compliance with our Terms and Conditions. Some of these opinions may contain information about treatments or uses of drug products that have not been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. WebMD does not endorse any specific product, service, or treatment. Do not consider WebMD User-generated content as medical advice. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your doctor or other qualified healthcare provider because of something you have read on WebMD. You should always speak with your doctor before you start, stop, or change any prescribed part of your care plan or treatment. WebMD understands that reading individual, real-life experiences can be a helpful resource, but it is never a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment from a qualified health care provider. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or dial 911 immediately.

URAC: Accredited Health Web Site HONcode Seal AdChoices