Q.

What is the difference between Lovaza and the OTC fish oil products?

Related Topics: Fish, Oil, Over The Counter

A.

Good question and one that I have to answer a lot because many people don't know that they really need to get the prescription filled! The FDA-approved dose of Lovaza is four capsules per day. It could take up to 14 capsules per day of an omega-3 supplement to provide the same amount of active ingredients proven to lower very high triglycerides.

Omega-3 dietary supplements have not been approved by the FDA to treat any specific disease like very high triglycerides. Supplements also do not go through an FDA approved manufacturing process. If you have any other questions, talk to your pharmacist, it’s worth the extra time.

Read the Original Article: WebMD Ask the Pharmacist: Saving Money on Medicine