Q.

I am nursing my baby. Can I take an over-the-counter allergy med like Claritin?

Related Topics: Allergy, Baby, Over The Counter

A.

Great question and something that you should always ask your pharmacist because you need to be careful with over-the-counter medications even while you are nursing. Allergy medications like Claritin, Benadryl, and Zyrtec have all been found in breast milk. Because of the higher risk of adverse reactions in infants generally, and for newborns and premature infants in particular, antihistamine therapy is not recommended in nursing mothers.

Read the Original Article: WebMD Ask the Pharmacist: Safe Drugs During Pregnancy