Q.

Can I ever have grapefruit again if I take a statin?

Related Topics: Grapefruit

A.

We are learning more and more each day about drug interactions with food, especially juices like grapefruit. Grapefruit juice has the ability to interact with certain enzymes in the body – the same enzymes that help break down medicines like statins so your body can use them. This can lead to high levels of the drug in the body and lead to a variety of health problems. It is best to avoid grapefruit while on this class of medications. You can also talk to your doctor or health care provider to see if you can be switched to a different class of medications for your cholesterol; we have a few other options besides statins. If you have any questions about drug/food interactions, talk to your pharmacist. We are happy to help.

Read the Original Article: WebMD Ask the Pharmacist: Bug Bites, Burns, First Aid