Q.

If my prescription says twice-a-day or every 12 hours, can I take it, even if there is more than 12 hours in between?

A.

The reason why a prescription maybe dosed 12 hours is that's what was done in the studies and that's how we know the drug works and how it's going to be effective.

So if you extend that timeframe, the drug may not work as well, you may not feel better, because the drug needs that constant blood level in your system. So, in the beginning once every 12 hours you are taking it faithfully, it creates what we call steady levels. If you tend to forget a dose or take it a lot later, you might actually break up that steady dose of the medication.

And therefore that could lead to an increase in side-effects or do not help in infection or blood pressure or something else. So you really want to adhere to the dosing schedule that's on that particular prescription bottle. If you have any questions, ask your pharmacist.

Read the Original Article: WebMD Ask the Pharmacist: Saving Money on Medicine