Q.

Do diet pills interact with depression and bipolar meds such as Wellbutrin and Geodon?

A.

This is a great question, because actually the two drugs mentioned, Wellbutrin and Geodon, actually can cause some weight gain. So I would actually ask this patient, number one, are they telling their doctors that they -- they may be seeing two different doctors, are they aware that they are taking these medications and do they have a medication list. Because of the side effect profile, we are adding a medication that we really probably don't need.

I would like to be able to find a more non-drug option, such as changing their diet, increasing their fluid intake.

So we want to make sure that, that patient understands that. The pharmacist, by looking at their medication list when they are coming to visit the pharmacy, will be able to point that out and say, hey, you are getting an unnecessary medication for side effect of two drugs, and maybe one of them, they may not necessarily need.

So that's where the pharmacist can actually contact the physicians or healthcare provider and say, doctor, are you aware of this? This happens all the time in the pharmacy.

I can't tell you how many times I say to patients, does your doctor know? Well, I went to this doctor for this medicine, but this doctor doesn't know about this one.

Everyone needs to know about it. That's why that medication list is so important. Not only is it help the pharmacist but bring it to all your other doctor appointments. That way they can see everything that everyone is prescribing and we can avoid medication errors and unnecessary use.

Read the Original Article: WebMD Ask the Pharmacist: Diet and Nutrition