Q.

Are there any heartburn medications that are safe to take during pregnancy?

Related Topics: Heartburn, Pregnancy, Drug

A.

Pregnancy is always a tough one, and the one thing I can tell you is that the recommendations are usually for lifestyle modification. Pregnant women should modify their diet. I know it's hard because they want to have certain foods, usually spicy, but they need to cut down on these particular items.

They need to really eliminate caffeine from their diet as well, this will really help with the heartburn problem. If needed, their OB/GYN may recommend a calcium tablet, like a Tums, which they can chew during the day. But they want to be careful for the amount that they chew, because there are calcium limits in pregnant women.

Antacids that contain sodium bicarbonate should not be taken by pregnant women because they can lead to fluid retention. Some doctors recommend the prescription drug sucralfate for treating chronic heartburn during pregnancy. But remember, women who are pregnant should talk to their doctor before using any over-the-counter or prescription drug.

By talking to the pharmacist, telling us your symptoms, advising us that you are pregnant, we will be more than happy to help you understand your options.

Read the Original Article: WebMD Ask the Pharmacist: Heartburn