Q.

How long do I need to take Protonix before I see any relief? Do any of the PPIs work any faster?

Related Topics: Vision

A.

What we are finding out is that therapy needs to be individualized for these patients. Patients may start off on one product, like Protonix. They need to take it though for usually two weeks to 30 days to see if there is any benefit to it. Over time, there are many different products that are available prescription, and people are all different. We are finding out that if you take a pill and I take a pill, it's going to work differently in both of us. For some patients it works really well and for others they might need to be switched.

This can be a common occurrence in patients who were formerly taking Nexium or Prevacid. Sometimes some of them do work a little quicker, but it does depend on the person. So therapy needs to be individualized.

As a pharmacist, I recommend my patients to definitely keep a diary to keep track of their symptoms, see if it is actually helping them. After a month, I may ask them how are they feeling. If they tell me they are not feeling well, I am probably going to advice them that they need to call their physician or healthcare provider to have it reassessed.

Read the Original Article: WebMD Ask the Pharmacist: Heartburn