Q.

If I take Tylenol PM and Tylenol Arthritis Pain, am I taking too much? What is the limit for acetaminophen each day?

Related Topics: Acetaminophen

A.

Recently there has not been a new limit established.

We are still using the guidelines of 4000 milligrams a day if you are an adult, and 2000 milligrams for an elderly adult.

Now, Tylenol PM does contain some Tylenol and it contains also Benadryl to help you sleep. Arthritis Tylenol, I believe, has a higher amount of Tylenol, so you want to be really careful about how many times you take it a day.

Come and talk to your pharmacist. We will be able to sit down with you and discuss how many milligrams you might be taking with the one product, and then in the evening product, the Tylenol PM.

And figure out how much you are taking on a daily basis.

We might ask you to take not as much of the Tylenol Arthritis product because you are hitting that limit each day. So be really careful, come and talk to the pharmacist, bring your list of medications, because you may not have been aware that some of the prescription medications that you are on may also contain Tylenol. That is the reason why it's been in the news, because people were taking prescription medication that contained Tylenol, along with additional over-the-counter Tylenol products.

So basically, come and ask, the pharmacist is the medication expert, we are a resource for you, and we are here to help you.

Read the Original Article: WebMD Ask the Pharmacist: Pain Relief