Q.

What's the difference between Oxycodone with APAP, 10 mg/325 mg, and Hydrocodone with APAP 10 mg/325 mg?

A.

This is a great question, and it's really easy for me to answer, because of the fact that Percocet is a, what we call, Schedule II. It’s actually a stronger pain medicine than the other one, and in some states there are specific laws, and that's why it requires that special type of prescription.

Now, they are used to treat pain, but it depends on what that person's pain level is. So I always make sure that my patients are going to a pain specialist and that their pain is being reassessed on an annual.

Possibly quarterly basis, because what we have learned in pain patients is that, how I judge pain and how you judge pain are completely different.

We are also learning through some DNA technology that some people who have pain may take these medications and they may not work at all, because their DNA has certain triggers in it that it makes their medications just not work. So therefore, we have to figure out what are other options to treat their pain more effectively. So a great question.

Once again though with pain, we want to make sure it's individualized. Make sure that you are using the one pharmacy, get to know your pharmacist, and make sure that all of your medications are on a medication list. So if you happen to get a prescription for another pharmacy and come back to my pharmacy, I can make sure that there is no duplications, things are not taken at the same time, and ask you how you are doing and see if this is really helping your pain.

Read the Original Article: WebMD Ask the Pharmacist: Pain Relief